Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Skiing on our jets in Fiji

Jet Ski Tour

On the day of the Jet Ski tour, six of us waited to be picked up in the lobby of our hotel. A skinny German man collected us and squished us into his van with another waiting couple. The 8 of us would be embarking on what ended up being an ‘I hate Jet Skiing’ turning point in my life.
When we got to his office, we signed a contract or rather waiving our parent’s right to sue him when we were tragically killed in a et ski accident. He briefed us on etiquette and on we went.
When we launched our Jet skis, we all paired up for a total of 5 jet skis, including the guide. Away we skied on our jets. Our first stop was a small beach, half way up a river on the island across from us: Beqa (the actual island).
We stopped for the men to stretch their legs and the women to get theirs to stop from shaking commencing the polite ignoring of their spouses.
The ride there was less than amusing for me; we were going at speeds that would scare me on a dead lake. When the water was choppy, the spray was so intense it was hard to keep our eyes open. Adam drove while I held on for dear life. In about out 15 min, we were ½ way. Between kung fu attacks from the salt water spray to my eyeballs, I noticed the water turned a beautiful dark blue. the water turned into rolling waves and we drove up 1 side at full speed, it took longer than necessary to come down… after being airborn for a good minute or so. If this is an adrenaline rush, I don’t want it!
Adam asked me if I wanted to drive. I did, but at the same time, I knew damn well that I would NOT drive at the same speed as everyone else. So, I set my fingers back into the dents I had made in Adam’s life jacket and we were on our way again.

As we were rounding the island, the fear had subsided and I realized I was annoyed; the constant splashing in our faces and the non-stop bouncing and bobbing. When we saw the color of the water in the distance, I was starting to become less irritated. The water underneath us turned from a clear aqua blue to aqua green to light green until we reached the Barrier reef where it was crystal clear. That was when I became aware of my full bladder. I couldn't pee here; not because of the sharks (well kinda), but because it was so clear people would be able to see a stream which follow while I swam.
The water was just as clear underneath with white sand below. The reefs were everywhere, teaming with fish. I had a few problems with my mask and my bladder was fighting my keigel muscles. Tt was a less than ideal situation.
I finished and swam back to the jet ski with the other 'wives'. When Jason motioned for the boys to come see the shark, I knew it was a good time to pee since the shark was already over there.

Our next stop is where we ate lunch. By the time we reached the beach I was ultra-annoyed and my nerves just wanted to get off the Jet Ski. I stood by myself for awhile.

The trip home, like the White Squall became pure torture! We came around Beqa to the evil side of the island. The skies became grey and the ocean turned into 3-4 ft swells. The way back felt like an hour. All the drivers were fighting to keep the jet skis in between the swells. Carrie was not so lucky when she was bucked off the back of her jetski like cowboy. Adam managed to keep his cool despite all my ‘UUUUGGGHH’ing’, ‘AAAARGH’ing’ and ‘THE WATER IS PISSING ME OFF!’. He got us back to safety, eyes fully disinfected. As land got closer, I got happier and when we handed over control to the guides, I jumped off, went running towards the shore yelling ‘LAAAAAND!!!’
The guide handed out certificates of completion to all the survivors and we went back to our rooms where we showered and got ready to drink copious amounts of alcohol.
I have never been so emotionally and somewhat physically exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment